Week 11 Story: A Cautionary Tale for Women

(Eskimo woman with knowing glint in her eyes; source: Wikipedia)

Listen here, women of the South and women of the North. Listen to the tale of your ancestor, the first woman:

I knew being the only woman in the land made me quite popular, but I hadn’t expected word of my existence to travel to the North. Nevertheless, a man from the North had traveled all this way to offer me a proposal for marriage. Having grown bored of the Southern men all around me, I agreed, albeit cautiously. After all, I didn’t know exactly what kind of man he was.

The Northman treated me surprisingly well and seemed proud to have me as a wife. In fact, he often bragged to me and other townspeople that he had a wife when the son of the chief in the North did not. I should’ve known that his boasting (although it made me feel valued at the time) wouldn’t end well. Sure enough, word of my husband’s braggadocio spread across the land.

One night, as I slept peacefully in the hut, I felt cold hands clasp my shoulders and drag me across the floor. My eyes shot open, disoriented, before I realized a dark figure—a man—was trying to abduct me. I screamed and thrashed about, attracting the attention of my husband. I heard more than saw him rush over to me. Instead of trying to fight the stranger and wrestle me out of his grip, my foolish husband gripped my ankles and yanked.

The ensuing few minutes were the absolute worst of my life. The pain I endured as the men tugged me this way and that was all-consuming and horrendous. To this day, I’m shocked that my screams of agony never woke any neighbors. At the very end, I felt myself give in to the pain and let the darkness envelop me.

When I opened my eyes, I discovered that my soul was no longer trapped inside my body. I was floating, hovering somewhere in the spectrum between life and death—a spirit, if you will. I found that in the process of fighting over me, my husband and the stranger, the Northern chief’s son, had ripped me in two. My upper half traveled with the chief’s son to the North and my lower half stayed in the South with my husband.

It is for this reason that the women of the North are skilled in needlework and the women of the South are talented at dancing. If you take anything out of my tale, let it be this: never allow yourself to be treated as an acquisition, a piece of property, an object. For if you do so, you may face a similar fate as mine.



Author’s note: The original tale was an Eskimo story about the first woman. Much like this version, a Northern man travels to the South to meet and wed this woman. However, the Northern man never outwardly brags of having a wife, though he is internally satisfied that he beat the chief’s son to it. The chief’s son was traveling southward himself and as in this story, attempts to abduct the woman. The ripping apart of the woman and the subsequent inherited characteristics of Northern and Southern women were described in the original story. My purpose with writing this tale was to give the first woman a narrative of her own. So many things seemed to happen to her and yet, she was depicted as a flat, passive character. I hoped to change that here and give her some purpose.

Bibliography. Myths and Legends of Alaska, edited by Katharine Berry Judson (1911).

Comments

  1. Hi Akansha!
    Wow I was not expecting that ending at all. Your story is really phenomenal and easy to read. It also left me on my toes the entire time. I wonder what would have happened if the kids weren't out in the field. Would the animals just attack one another or would they have believed each other and attacked the woman? Anyways, great job and well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Akansha! This was a great story. I was so intrigued the entire time. Towards the end I wanted to know what was going to happen so bad. I was curious as to where your story came from and what the original one was, but your authors note did a great job explaining this. After reading the notes from how the original story ended, I think yours is a lot better. I think that the man should have had something taken from him since he was the deceiving one like you said. Your stories have been great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Akansha, This was an awesome story. I was entertained and all in the whole time. I was constantly wondering what was going to happen next and wanted to know what the story was going to end with. The animals are such a cool touch to the story. It was really cool how you incorporated the animals into the story so well and made the story come to life with the great writing. I hope to see more great work from you soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Akansha,

    I am impressed with your storytelling ability and love that you were so bold with your ending. I think people are weary to take risks in their writing but you just went for it! This story was well structured and thought out. You put some thought into this and it shows! This story was clever, witty, and all-around a fantastic read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Akansha,

    Oh no! That ending was gruesome! I wonder how the mother reacted when she found out she caused the death of her own children? And how come the children were able to wander to the forest without her knowledge? It was hard to tell that the mother and the leopard agreed upon the deal until later. I think it would help if that was clarified with some extra detail. Looking forward to the next story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Akansha!
    This is the second time I have read one of your stories, and let me say that I am equally impressed! The ending was absolutely crazy, and I did not see that coming at all! I wonder why the mother and the leapard were able to agree upon that deal? Overall, you have a knack for storytelling, and I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Akansha! I remember learning this myth in my Native American Music class, so it was really great reading another version of it! For my feedback, I would recommend that you clarify how the husband's arrogant behavior was the cause of the attempted abduction. The negativity that the bragging would cause is clear, but what kind of negative feelings? Were people envious of the husband having a wife and decided to steal her for themselves, or did they decide to make sure no one would have a wife? I also feel that you could elaborate on how the two separate halves allowed for tradition. Did the two halves of the woman form into two different women, one keeping the skilled hands and the other keeping the skilled feet? If so, how did the woman become two women?

    Other than that, I loved the moral of making sure you don't tolerate behavior (no matter the intent) that treats you like an object.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Also, "Eskimo" is actually a slur for the Inuit people. It's the common usage because another tribe called them that, but I would consider that for your Image caption.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts