Growth Mindset

I have previously heard about the term "growth mindset" being used in critiques of our educational system. Though I understood the general concept, I did not know any details nor did I associate the term with Carol Dweck. Having watched her TED Talk, I came to the realization that many of my experiences with learning have been characterized by a fixed mindset. Over the course of this school year, I plan on changing that.

I was raised in an Indian culture that overemphasizes intelligence and talent, the very things Dr. Dweck advised against praising. From a young age, I was taught that earning A's was not praise-worthy, but rather an expectation. As family members came to know that I performed well in school, the pressure to continue doing well mounted, until I was chasing one A after another without actually engaging with or learning the material. When I got to university, these expectations did not lessen but I was more removed from them. This isolation allowed me to begin challenging myself in my courses. I'm slowly learning that not knowing something is okay, but I still prioritize my grades above all else. I'm excited to put my newfound knowledge about the growth mindset in practice and see where it leads me.

(Growth mindset; source: Pixabay)

Comments

Popular Posts