Week 13 Story: How to Be Rid of a Pest

(Vivien tricks Merlin; source: Wikipedia)

Dear Diary,

It has been yet another tiring day of trying to tolerate Merlin without completely giving away how disgusted I am by his mere presence. Though, to be honest, I do not think he would care all too much what I thought of him. He seems quite convinced that his constant pestering will guarantee him a place in my heart but alas, I truly despite him with all my heart.

At the very least, I have been able to advance my own career through his incessant flirting. I barely have to make a vague suggestion about an ancient spell or one of the king's many secrets--the second he realizes I am fraught with curiosity, he is instantly trying to explain everything there is to know about the subject. All his talking has allowed me to grow into a powerful witch, something I am begrudgingly grateful for. 

People flock from towns and the countryside to beg me for my services. Often, I receive handsome rewards for helping these people. Regardless of the financial benefit, I am glad that my suffering is of use to someone in this world.

But this suffering shall not last long for I have devised a plan. Yesterday, Merlin and I stumbled across a rock that he told me held great wonders underneath. We must pass by the rock on our journey back to London tomorrow. I shall ask Merlin to lift the rock and reveal those wonders to me and whilst he does so, I will roll the rock over him to bury him.

The fool is aware that he will die at my hands but I know deep down that he cannot refuse my request. I will write to you tomorrow about the success or failure of my (hopefully final) attempt to be rid of the pest.

With love,

Viven

Author’s note: The original story was about how the great wizard Merlin fell in love with a beautiful lady of the lake named Vivien. He constantly sought out her presence despite her very strong dislike for him. Merlin is also aware that he will meet death at Viven's hands but he is blinded by love. In this story, I attempted to take Vivien's point of view. It must be incredibly uncomfortable to have a creepy older man be obsessed with you. Poor Vivien made the best of her situation and became a better witch. She ensures that Merlin meets the death that he already knew was waiting for him.


Bibliography. King Arthur: Tales of the Round Table by Andrew Lang and illustrated by H. J. Ford (1902).

Comments

  1. Hello,
    I like what you did with your story. I don’t remember reading to much about Viven but I could relate with her through your story. After reading your Author’s Notes I saw that she did not like him, and I can understand why. He seems to be overly attached with no signs of love being sent to him for him to stay around. I would also be creeped out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Akansha,

    What a great story! I really enjoyed how you wrote it like it was an entry in the characters diary. Oftentimes storytellers stick to the same old same old structure with a beginning middle and an end. But you obviously have the creative ability to break those boundaries and tell stories how you feel best. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts